Font size: [+] [-]
FAQ - Authoring House related questions
- Do all authoring houses need to execute BD-ROM2, BD-ROM3 and BD-ROM4 Commercial Audiovisual Content licenses? Authoring houses intending to be engaged in rather sophisticated BD-ROM authoring are encouraged to obtain a Commercial Audiovisual Content License and thoroughly study the relevant BD-ROM2 Blu-ray Disc spec book for 2D authoring, BD-ROM3 Blu-ray Disc spec book for 3D authoring, and BD-ROM4 Blu-ray Disc spec book for Ultra HD authoring.
- What is the fee for the BD-ROM Commercial Audiovisual Content (CAV Content) license? What specifications does such a Licensee receive?
The fee for BD-ROM2, BD-ROM3, and BD-ROM4 Commercial Audiovisual Content licenses under the relevant FLLA is US$4,000 each, for the license term of 5 years.
The BD-ROM2 FLLA CAV Licensee receives BD-ROM Part 2: File Systems Specifications Version 1.xx and Part 3 Audio Visual Basic Specifications version 2.x for 2D.
The BD-ROM3 FLLA CAV Licensee receives BD-ROM Part 2: File Systems Specifications Version 1.xx and Part 3 Audio Visual Basic Specifications version 2.x.
The BD-ROM4 FLLA CAV Licensee receives BD-ROM Part 2: File Systems Specifications Version 2.xx and Part 3 Audio Visual Basic Specifications version 3.x.
- ROM 2.0/3.0/4.0 Media and Commercial Audiovisual Content (CAV Content) License Clarifications:
A. Contractual Obligation of the CAV Licensee regarding First Product Model Test Verification
CAV Licensees (Authoring House)
- Prior to any commercial shipment of 2D CAV Content to a BD-ROM Media FLLA licensed Replicator, a CAV licensed authoring house is required to pass the FPMV at a designated Blu-ray Disc Testing Center for the relevant Profiles, unless the “Self-Test” on the CAV content has been carried out by a replicator who has passed the CAV FPMV under an appropriate Profile(s).
- For ROM3 (3D Content), there is no FPMV for Media under the current Verification Requirements. In order to make a ROM3.0 compliant 3D Blu-ray Disc and be able to use the Blu-ray Disc 3D Logo, either the ROM3.0 Media FLLA licensed replicator or the CAV licensed authoring house must have passed the CAV FPMV under Profile 5.0.
- For ROM4 (Ultra HD Blu-ray content), in order to make a ROM4.0 compliant Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc and be able to use the Ultra HD Blu-ray Logo, either the ROM4.0 Media FLLA licensed replicator or the CAV licensed authoring house must have passed the CAV FPMV under Profile 6.0.
*Please note that If CAV Licensee passes Profile 2.0 or Profile 5.0, the licensee is exempted from Profile 1.0. and Profile 1.1.
B. Contractual Obligations of Media Licensee Regarding FPMV Media Licensees (Replicator)
Such Media Licensees:
- Are exempt from doing the Self-Test, if the submitted CAV is confirmed to be authored by a FLLA CAV or Media Licensee who has passed the CAV FPMV under appropriate the Profile(s);
- Need to pass the CAV FPMV under an appropriate Profile(s) if Media Licensee wishes to replicate content which has been authored by any authoring houses.
- Need to perform Self-Test on authored data from a non-licensee or a FLLA CAV licensed authoring house that has not passed the appropriate FPMV.
- Can accept Type C (AACS encrypted CAV) content from a customer who is either a CAV Licensee or a Media Licensee who has passed CAV FPMV.
- Need to confirm the identity of the source of the content, if the Type C content is brought in by non-licensed customer
If Such Media Licensees wish to provide 3D BD authoring services, then they need obtain CAV category under ROM2 FLLA as well as to obtain ROM3 CAV and pass the Profile 5.0 for CAV. If Such Media Licensees wish to provide Ultra HD BD authoring services, then they need obtain CAV category under ROM2 FLLA as well as to obtain ROM4 CAV and pass the Profile 6.0 for CAV
C. BD-ROM Tools and Manufacturing Equipment/Testers Licensees:
Such Licensees are listed at:
- For 2D: http://www.blu-raydisc.info/licensee-list/flla-rom2toolsmanu-licenseelist.php
- For 3D: http://www.blu-raydisc.info/licensee-list/flla-rom3toolsmanu-licenseelist.php
- For Ultra HD: http://www.blu-raydisc.info/licensee-list/flla-rom4toolsmanu-licenseelist.php